Thursday, August 26, 2010

i'm no betty draper

So, I finally finished watching season 2 of Mad Men....great season, by the way.  Usually when I watch Mad Men, all I can look at and think about is the ever-so-handsome, Don Draper.  I'm pretty sure in my next life, I'm going to marry Jon Hamm (sorry Brad).  But as I was watching season 2, I kept getting distracted with how much Betty Draper drank and smoked while knocked up.  It's crazy to think that they all probably drank and smoked.  How did our parents' generation end up being so...normal?  I'm sure there are several of us that would beg to differ...but for the most part, they came out addicted to martinis and unfiltered Lucky Strike cigarettes!  Today, there are so many do's and don'ts (pretty excessive, if you ask me) to pregnancy that it gets a bit overwhelming!  I feel guilty when I drink a cup of coffee in the morning...but it's either that or having a headache so bad that I get in my car and drive to my husband's work and maul his face off for getting me knocked up...

This past weekend I was in St. Louis visiting with some of my best friends.  Our usual weekends in St. Louis consist of Cardinal's games, patio bars, dancing til our feet become nubs, and Taco Bell at 4:00 in the morning.  This trip was a bit different for me...usually we (5 girls) try to start a brawl between any Cubs' fan that may come a bit too close to our circle--yes, Jersey Shore style.  Or, if a guy tries to dance with one of us 5 girls,  he gets yelled and screamed at and basically so humiliated that he'll probably never enter that establishment again for fear of running into us.  But this time, we were all exhausted by 11 pm.  We had no desire to go dancing....we had no desire to get Taco Bell as the sun came up...all we had a desire for were our beds and a pillow.  Not being able to drink booze definitely changed my behavior.  We were at one of my friend's surprise birthday parties, and I fell asleep in a chair...at 10:30 pm.  And like I said, booze was not involved!  Betty Draper definitely would not have fallen asleep, in a chair, at a party, at 10:30 pm... (Sigh...)


No comments:

Post a Comment