Thursday, May 19, 2011

100 days // Baek-il

Today marks Violet's 100 days or Baek-il.  In the Korean tradition, this is an important day because historically, there used to be high infant mortality rates.  So when a baby had reached its 100 days of being alive, there was a celebration and thanksgiving.  Traditionally, a small feast is prepared to celebrate the child's having survived this difficult period.  Historically, the mothers and babies were house bound for 3 months to ensure safety and good health for the mother and baby.   (I could not imagine not leaving the house for 3 months!!!  Even with Facebook, all the Real Housewives shows on Bravo and Oprah's final season to entertain me, I'd still go crazy!)

The traditions and customs are probably very different today, due to the fact of low infant mortality rates, but it's still a day of celebration and thanksgiving.  This day, I'm so thankful that Violet has been so healthy and happy these past 100 days.  She's been growing and changing everyday and I hope I never forget the happiness and love that I've felt in these past 100 days.  What's even more exciting is the next 100 days...and the 100 days after that...and after that...and after that!  Okay, you get the point.  Thank you, Brad, family, and friends for helping me keep her safe, healthy, happy and loved.  I could not have survived these 100 days without you all!

Happy 100 days, my sweet Violet Ann Nareh...I love you more than anything in the whole wide world...


Such a big girl!!



This face makes me beyond happy.  



Longest hair ever for a 3 month old!

Violet and her Eemo whom she loves so much!

The Hwang ladies!

So happy!!


Her outfit says Nareh, which is her Korean name that my parents gave her, which means "wings."  

Violet and Grandma...so happy and proud.  

Happy 100 days, boo!  

3 comments:

  1. Soo! That's the best Korean name ever and congrats on her baek-il! Are you guys doing a ceremony?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a doll! Love those little cheeks!!

    ReplyDelete