Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Greatest Experiment

So, the older V gets, the less time I have to do the things I want or need to do...like, blogging!  In the spare time that I do get, it's usually spent cleaning, cooking, going out to lunch, etc.  Luckily, my little lady has decided to take great naps today, which leaves me more time to Facebook stalk, shop online and finally, blog!

We were visiting with some friends a couple of weeks ago and we were discussing how parenting was going, how V was, etc.  We were discussing some of the challenges that we were having, some of the concerns and how we're still unsure about this whole parenting thing.  Our friend's mom said it quite perfectly.  She said, "Parenting your first child is an experiment.  Yes, your first child is your guinea pig, but everything works out alright and soon you'll forget just how hard it is parenting your first child."  I'm not saying that V is a difficult baby, because she's far from being difficult.  She sleeps well, plays well, eats well and gives me the sweetest smiles all day long.  But life sure is more stressful when you're constantly thinking about what you can do to make her sleep longer...travel better...smile more...like tummy time more...and the list goes on and on.  (Not to mention, always questioning yourself and wondering if you're doing a good enough job and if you're being a good wife, daughter, daughter in law, sister, friend.)  And our friend's mom is right.  It's all an experiment.

When V gets really tired and isn't put down for a nap or bed fast enough, she gets super pissed (it's the angry Asian in her).  Through much experimentation on how to calm her down, I've discovered that running the bathtub always calms her long enough to shove a boob in her mouth and then put her to bed.  The stressful part is that I know a lot of what I figure out will change as she goes through her phases.  I asked my friend today when do babies start to become normal people??  I didn't like her answer... I wonder if parents of multiple children think it gets easier with the second or third kid?  Do you feel that you have a better grasp on things?  Or is it that you're still experimenting but now you're experimenting with more confidence?  Or maybe it's that you just don't have the time to stress because you're chasing around two/three/four kids instead of focusing all your attention on one?  All I know is, I'm loving this parenting thing, but I just wish I had an answer to every question that I have.  This whole "worrying" thing is so foreign to me and I hope to get back to my laid back days...but I'm thinking that worrying just goes hand in hand with being a parent...

Luckily, I have this adorable, sweet, funny, fascinating baby to outweigh the stress, worry and concern!  Just gotta keep my eye on the prize!














No comments:

Post a Comment